can i share with you for a moment the things i love in medicine?
1) i love knowing things about how our bodies work
2) i love the language of medicine, the descriptiveness and preciseness of the words
3) i love the quiet moment when i hold my stethoscope against someone's chest and listen to the sound of their beating heart
4) i love a well constructed consult note, one that doesn't leave out the pleasantries that remind me of an era in medicine that is quickly slipping away
5) i love the endless learning that comes with a medical career
6) i love the trust i feel from my patients
7) i love the giggle that follows the knee jerk when my reflex hammer hits just right (why does that make us laugh?)
is that enough? i could go on! and yes, there is an equally long list of the things i don't like, but we all have those things in our jobs, and for me they are mostly mundane and far surpassed by the things i love.