Thursday, March 3, 2011

my female-heavy schedule

on any given day, the bulk of my schedule is filled with women with maybe two or three men thrown in for variety.  i didn't do anything to make it that way.  it just is.  women often tell me they chose me because i am female.  they specifically want a female provider. i think what they really want are qualities they belive they are more likely to come by in a female.  they are using gender as a surrogate marker, much like we use LDL levels as a surrogate for cardiovascular risk.  we have to make decisions somehow.

that's okay with me.  i like women. we get along just fine.  but what i really like is to see their husbands, boyfriends or significant others show up on my schedule a few months later.  now that's a compliment!  what usually happens is this.  i meet the new patient.  as we get to know each other, they see that i am a caring doctor, they feel comfortable with me.  so they bring their partner to their next visit.  it's nothing formal but i know they are checking things out. next thing you know, they are on my schedule as a new patient!  voila!  sometimes i am the first female doctor they've had, other times not.  in the end though, gender seems to have little to do with our relationship.   i think that is the point i am trying to make -- in the end it is more about the relationship we build, then our gender.  what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. If you care and if you listen, AND, if that is obvious (there are some who care and listen but are too reserved to make it known) then "they will come".

    ReplyDelete